Saturday, July 11, 2009

Books I'm Reading 23) Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

http://www.amazon.com/Wishful-Drinking-Carrie-Fisher/dp/143915371X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247299204&sr=8-1

So to be honest, I didn't read this so much as listen to the audio book because she reads the book herself and has, at least in my opinion, what has got to be some of the best comic timing anywhere.

There's this portion early on in the book when she describes all the inbreeding that goes on in Hollywood and that's one part I kind of wish I had the printed version for because listening to it is amusing but very, very confusing and I need a map.

But it's amazing to me how someone who's gone through life in such an over the top manner, can look back on all the insanity of events in their life and laugh about it. I mean really, having someone die in your bed (not like that) and turning it into an running gag through what is effectively a 3+ hour stand up routine, is an impressive skill

The only thing I was frustrated by, no that's not the right word, I actually like it, I just found it confusing, was the disjointed nature of stories. It's not he typical biography that follows some logical progression of things. It bounces between the decades because the stories fit into the comic routine better. I actually like this because it made me pay more attention, but it could get confusing sometimes to have to temporally shift myself in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home