Sunday, June 07, 2009

confusing math and crochet - Margaret Wertheim on TED.com

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/margaret_wertheim_crochets_the_coral_reef.html

I can do calculus. I don't like to. I can balance my checkbook. I prefer to do it with a calculator. So when it comes to non-Euclidean Geometry my preference is to avoid subjects that have stumped the world's best mathematicians for generations. And yet as I look at some of the beautiful math at work in some of the art that Margaret Wertheim and her sister and many others have done, it doesn't seem as spooky. While I have to admit that the idea of a crochet reef is a little weird to me. If I want to see a reef I go to the beach. I'm in Hawaii. I have that option. But the idea of seeing a reef in a Ben Franklin Craft store seems pretty damn neat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home