Saturday, May 02, 2009

Books I'm Reading 13) Round Ireland With a Fridge by Tony Hawks

http://www.amazon.com/Round-Ireland-Fridge-Tony-Hawks/dp/0312274920/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241326305&sr=8-1

A man walks into a bar with a fridge...and that's not the start of a joke. It's a story that brings as much amusement as it does confusion.

I should start by noting for those like me who are more familiar with Tony Hawk that the author of this amazing story is a Brit performer, comic and musician, not a skateboarding market unto himself. And this small fact should make it clear that I love the absurd. And considering it's the first day of my vacation this a was a great way to start.

The back story is this: on his only previous trip to Ireland Mr. Hawks saw someone hitchhiking with a fridge and so make a 100 pound bet with a friend that he could similarly circumnavigate Ireland with an unplugged household appliance.

From cattle auctions to surfing (not a typo) to drinking with the fridge in tow, Mr. Hawks writes what is probably one of the best travel books I've ever read. I'm not sure if it's the notion of finding out about the people of Ireland though following through on a drunken bet or the fact that it worked but this is a highly amusing and whimsical read. Besides free beer and being able to dodge parking tickets seems like a nice thing to me.

Makes me think something of Will and the time wasted trying to make the perfect black and tan and makes me want to try my own lunatic wandering around Ireland.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home