Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Books I'm Reading 4) The Bro Code by Barney Stinson

http://www.amazon.com/Bro-Code-Barney-Stinson/dp/143911000X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237436692&sr=8-1

I should start by saying that I find it amusing anytime a fiction sitcom character is given author credit for a book. It's one thing to write under a pseudonym, it's entire another thing to give author credit to a fictional character. I mean, it's like granting George Jetson the patent for the Sprocket. That said, I needed something funny. I'm not in much of a fuuny mode lately and this was a nice little interlude to my ongoing self pity streak.

Now I should say here that I'm a big fan of Neil Patrick Harris. Great comic timing and totally knows how to play over the top characters...and Barney Stinson is entirely an over the top character. It's also important to remember kids, before you act, think: WWNPHD?

The nice thing about this book is that it's not just a long running joke that's just a printed tie-in to the show How I Met Your Mother. I mean, it's got a deeper meaning if you enjoy the show but it's funny all on its own. But that's part of the beauty of the show overall. There's little things like websites mentioned on the show that (I presume) the producers and writers have actually taken the time to build semi-credible websites for, so it's not a single thing here or there but all a big tie-in. Cross platform marketing, gotta love it.

Now I'm generally of the mindset that rules are meant to be broken and certainly some of these are but there's a few that could totally work. The Lemon Law, for example, I think should be a real law. Things not working out on a date, you can walk away in the first five minutes, no questions asked, no reasons given. It's beautiful. And it's probably that kind of thing that make me horrible at dating.

I'm not saying it's the greatest piece of comedic fiction, but it was a nice distraction and damn hilarious. And come on, I can't get books published under my own name but they give author cred to a fictional character. I mean really...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home