Friday, March 06, 2009

Books I'm Reading 2) Jonathan Gullible: A Free Market Odyssey by Ken Schoolland

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Jonathan-Gullible-Market-Odyssey/dp/817188444X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236353349&sr=1-1

This was the other book I finished, actually finished it this morning. Okay first off for a guy that teaches at HPU and a book that was published in Hawaii, I have to say that to the best of my knowledge there is no flower called a "pikaki" and you're editors should be fucking shot. It's a "pikake" and yes it's only one letter but then it's the differece between an author named kin and an author named ken and in this case his family should disown him for writing such a lame book.

To be honest I don't even remember where I got this book> i've had it for some time and never read it because it looked like it was written for 10 year olds...and maybe it was. Maybe I just think that the entire message was completely bass ackwards. The whole thing revoles around some idiot kid who gets swept away in a storm and ends up in a strange land but gets all confused by the backwards ass culture he finds...think gulliver's travels but like for poli sci 200 level classes.

I mean I get it, government can be corrupt and the free market should be allowed to....blah blah blah, the entire thing is full of crap. Because at any point in human history people would not put up with a 10'th of the crap the people on the island have to go through, they would fucking riot and overthrow the government. Hell the French beheaded the bad leaders....THE FRENCH!!!!

Look, maybe I'm just not the intended audience, I mean the book wasn't totally horrible it just offended all the parts of my brain that want to, you know, think. Here's the thing Ken, I don't like government much either but you need a balance. You know why it's called a 'free market'? Because we like to lie all the fucking time. If we didn't have regulations imposed on the free market you have no basis on which society can be forme. I think the current state of my portfolio and the lack of decent government oversight into financial markets should serve as some evidence that an unregulated free market isn't exactly a bright fucking idea.

My problem isn't with the idea that the free market can be beneficial, my problem is that the entire parable was so fucking one sided that government is corrupt and government programs are bad and people should be allowed to choose and....just fucking shut it. It's not that I wouldn't reccomend this book. It's that I don't find the desire to recycle so strong that I would go and buy the copies in print just so the paper could be put to better use.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home