Friday, March 06, 2009

Books I'm Reading 1) Grace Under Fire by Andrew Carroll (ed.)

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Under-Fire-Letters-Faith/dp/1400073375/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236352589&sr=8-1

So i'm going to try to start something here mostly because I have time to kill. I've got this stack of books that I have but haven't read yet and I'm going to try to write a short note about them as I finish. In the past two nights I've finished two of them. If I can burn through them fast enough maybe I'll hit up Amazon for more. There's like half a dozen other titles I have on my list now. Plus since I'm not really watching TV any more, it's nice to have something to do in the evenings since the someone I used to do in the evenings happens to be moving to Cali next week....and I'm not bitter.

Okay, so Andrew Carroll never served a day in the military. He has however edited a ridiculously fine collection of letters from people who have. I read his other book "War Letters" some time ago and picked this one up at a Borders because I recognized the name. I'm not particularly religious. Hell, my religious veiws pretty much end at "I have to pay child support but God doesn't doesn't and that doesn't seem right." But I digress. The book is awesome...wait I said I was going to try to use that word less. The book is amazing.

The letters, particularly of some of the ones from older wars, he's got this set of letters from the Civil War for example, are just something I never really thought much of before. It's a glimpse into the moment of someone's life that you don't usually get to see. A letter from a father to a son he's never met in person trying to figure out where God is in some of the most Godforsaken conflicts in modern history. They tell stories that need to be told.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home